Caring for a newborn 24/7, in a sleep-deprived state, is physically demanding and mentally challenging. This I have learned over the last few weeks, as a first-time mother.
It requires much endurance and energy. It makes you slow down and pay attention.
On most days, my baby’s cherubic, expressive face and tiny fingers and toes are all I need to see to get going.
And I keep a favorites list for when I desire an extra boost of inspiration and source of comfort.
Here is the list (in no specific order):
1. Claymation music video featuring Nina Simone’s My baby just cares for me
2. Mary Oliver’s New and Selected Poems, Volume 1 (“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – The Summer Day)
3. Classic Vanilla Cheesecake at Cafe Latte in St. Paul, Minnesota
4. Yoga breakdancing to Awolnation’s Sail
6. TV sitcom Parks and Recreation, with Amy Poehler, Rob Lowe & Adam Scott
7. Watermelon in the summer (on warm/hot days)
8.Chocolate covered strawberries in the winter (on cool/cold days)
9. Nina Simone singing Ain’t got no….I got Life
10. 2001 French movie, Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou & Matthieu Kassovit; Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
11. Quote by Rumi: “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
12. Three Little Birds from the Bob Marley kids album, B is for Bob – original Bob Marley songs re-imagined for fans of “all ages”
13. Trees. For their natural beauty and multiple health benefits.
14. Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You. A movie about a vulnerable, young protagonist with a deep appreciation for the world and no idea how to live in it; based on novel by Peter Cameron.
15. PB&J sandwich. Hits the spot.
16. Amazon Kindle. A must-have for book lovers with limited shelf space.
17. Taking a nature walk.
# # #
Make your own favorites list for when you desire an extra boost of inspiration and source of comfort. It can help you get going on the things that matter to you.